Monday, November 20, 2006

11-13-06 Rant

…or whatever the term is for them. You know which ones I mean, 4Shared, RapidShare etc. I don’t claim to know alot about these sites but I find them annoying as anything. Lately they have gotten worse. Bad enough that when you go to download you have to wait X amount of minutes if you don’t have an account with them, ok fair is fair and they want you to join their program, I can deal with that. I can even deal with having a limit to how much I can download in a specific amount of time … IF I know what my limit is. Lately though I have been running across these issues:

1. It will say “Your file is ready for downloading click here. I “Click Here” and it says file has expired. Well why didn’t it tell me that before I went through the whole waiting process and clicking here?
2. It will say please wait X amount of seconds then finally it says download you click download and it says “Users downloading limit reached please try again in a few minutes” Ok so if I exceeded my limit, what is my limit? What exactly constitutes a few minutes. I downloaded one file this morning and went for the companion file which was part of a kit, the first file was about 16megs and I reached my limit?
3. Click here to access the file you wish to download, click here and I get a page that says I must be logged in to access the file? Don’t have a loggin, join now! WTH? I am NOT joining fifteen million sites to get files. Sorry, not doing it. I already have reached about half my file room on my hotmail account and am definitely not giving out my other e-mail addresses for this stuff.

I understand the problems with offering up freebies and trying to keep them free by not having to pay for storage but the love of Mike (whoever Mike is, I don’t know but it sounds good lol) There has got to be a better way. I am running this blog on a website, my website and I have 100 gigs of disc space and 1 terabyte of transfer volume. I got it for $22 for 6 months - they bill in 6 month intervals. Not bad. I figure that should be enough room to run what I want to off of it. If I decide to venture out into eBay territory then I might consider one of the alternate downloading sites but I really don’t want to. I don’t know yet, just trying to get up and running at this point.

Well, that’s the rant … for right now.
That’s how I saw it……
T

No comments: