Monday, November 20, 2006

Florida Schools ARGH (From 10-20-06)

I had to take my oldest out of school here because they were a bunch of so and so’s. So now I have been homeschooling him since April. It was a little rough going in the beginnning and I hadn’t been able to get him into virtual school until June. Finally we got going and his grades have been between B’s and A’s but because he was behind in the classes he actual marks for each period were D’s and C’s. But that’s ok he is caught up and should be completely on track within about a week now.
My youngest had a rough time last year because he didn’t like his teacher (the school ended up transferring her out because apparently my son wasn’t the only one complaining) Now that he is in 4th grade he is starting to have trouble. Partly because he sees his older brother home and partly because of the school. I will tell you why.
I have been asking for them to teach him how to spell and write correctly for two years. His handwriting is atrocious to the point that he can barely read it. We have sat with him just about every night to get him to write correctly and it just isn’t working. He has NO spelling words this year and they didn’t start science class for about 7 weeks. Forget that the notes teachers sent home are LOADED with grammatical errors and some are not even signed by the teacher. Wait it gets better.

I see him trying to study for his test in Math so I said to him come on we’ll study together. He gives me the paper that he is supposed to “study” Know what it says at the top of the page? “TEST” I flipped and called the parent of one of his friends. Yep she confirmed it. They give them the damn test to study “but they change the questions around” NOT change the questions, but the order of the questions. SO FREAKING WHAT? They are giving them the answers. So I say to John “blah blah blah blah” and he answers “Blah blah” I said Why is that the answer … his reply? Because that’s what it says on the paper! ARGH!!!!!!! He knows the answers but he doesn’t understand one blooming thing they are telling him. He has no clue in any of his subjects why the answers are what they are. And there have been “Study Guides” which are the actual tests in all of his classes. So now we are trying to actually teach him the work and he fights us tooth and nail. “All I have to do is remember the answers I don’t have to know all this stuff” I am ready to flip out. The whole school system here is ridiculous. I blame the FCAT and the school system. If they don’t have X amount of eligible passing children they loose funding, bonuses etc. So instead of teaching them the info they teach them the answers. I have even heard rumors of teachers giving out the answers DURING the FCAT! No Child Left Behind, there’s another one to blame. The good intentions are there but it leaves way too many variables open for misuse.
So I have an appointment with the teachers next week. The Principal and others know me already and we have a very good repoire but they are not going to like me next week. I am a hothead but I can be very diplomatic and contained when I need to be so I will present my case and wait to see what the end result is. They have no idea that one of the things I want to discuss is the “Study Guides” they are in for a wild ride. If I don’t like the end results I will go to the Principal, if she bails on me too, I will end up at the school board. It’s only a 20 minute ride from my house. Still no satisfaction? I believe I still have a friend over at channel 5. If I don’t, I’ll make one.

No comments: